This guide assists in using the Active Platform and Active Workpapers to start a standard compliance job. By the end of this guide, you will be able to add a client group and clients, create a workpaper binder for the client, import records and documents and reconcile balances.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Adding a client group and clients
- Login to the Active Platform at my.businessfitness.com.au.
- Click Clients.
Note: If your firm has Active Sync turned on, clients and groups will be imported from your practice management software automatically, please skip to the next chapter.
- Click + New Client, then Client Group and fill out the mandatory details. Click Add Client Group.
- Within the client list, find the client group you created and click on it.
- Within the client group page, click + Add Client, fill out the mandatory details and click Add Client at the bottom right.
Creating a workpaper binder
- Within the client group page, find the client you want to create a binder for.
- Click on the WP icon next to the client’s name.
- Select the type of binder you wish to create (e.g. for year end compliance work, select accounts and tax).
- Ensure the dates match to your current reporting year, check that your assigned users are correct, then click Create Binder.
- Click Open Now to open the workpaper binder.
- To link your trial balance to your Xero file, press + Connect to New Source.
- Choose the appropriate source you want to import data from, e.g. Xero.
- This will prompt a login to your cloud accounting provider online account. Sign into your account and select the client file you wish to use as a source.
- Once back in Active, select the file. (This name will always be the same as it is the client data file name – it will not have a year)
- Click Add Source.
- In the account column section, column 1 will be automatically set as your current financial year, column 2 will be your comparative year. Click the checkbox Show Adjustment Journals.
- Add further financial or calculation columns by clicking on + Add Column. Press Continue.
- Fill out other relevant details, including Depreciation Method. Press Complete.
- You are now ready to start preparing your workpapers.
- You will be presented with the Bulk Insert wizard when the binder has loaded. This feature allows you to insert standard Business Fitness worksheets against your Trial Balance accounts in bulk. You can select No Thanks if you don't wish to import these.
- If you choose not to Bulk Insert the worksheets at the start of the job, you can always bring up the Bulk Insert wizard later should you need from the Settings & Tools screen.
Launching the Excel binder
- To open the Excel binder, you first need to have downloaded the Excel add-in from Microsoft Appsource. Refer to the following article: How to install the Excel add-in. Download the add-in and return to these instructions.
- To open the binder in Excel, click Open Excel Binder. Do not check out the binder using the drop-down menu as this will download the Excel binder to your desktop, making it inaccessible to anyone else in your firm. Store and access the Excel binder in Active Documents at all times.
- Once the Excel binder opens, login to the taskpane using the Active Workpapers add in tab. Click Open Taskpane.
- Log in to the Taskpane using your Business Fitness credentials.
- Once logged in, you will notice the Taskpane mirrors exactly what your see in the Web binder.
- You can work in either the Web or Excel taskpane, however to complete or review Excel worksheet reconciliations you will need to have the Excel binder open.
Adding and reconciling records
- Firstly, turn on recommendations so that Active Workpapers prompts you to add a particular worksheet against your GL accounts.
- There are various types of records you can add against an account. Firstly, you can accept the recommendation against an account by clicking Accept.
- This will populate the sheet against the account ready for you to do your reconciliation.
- To reconcile this workpaper, head to the sheet and fill out the required details. In this example, you would need to fill out the balance per bank statement line in the worksheet.
- Once that agrees to the balance in the GL, a green tick will appear to indicate the account reconciles.
- Once your workpaper is reconciled, change the status to “ready for review”, for example.
- You can also choose other ways to add a record to an account. Click on the + button next to the account, which will bring up the below options.
- These options do the following:
Workpaper binder tips
- On your initial set up of the binder before you open the excel sheet for the first time, if you prefer to see the year you are completing on the right hand side of the TB please select column 1 as your comparative and column 2 as your current year.
- You can move the workpapers around like you would any other excel spreadsheet this will not change the link it has to the TB.
If you need help, please refer to the following for guidance:
Quick Start Videos
Discover how to set up clients/client groups and navigate the Active Platform Home screen with ease.
In this video, you'll learn how to create a workpaper binder for a client, link a data source, add standard/custom worksheets, and perform account reconciliations.
Click here for our library of support and user guide articles.
Click here for user training courses for Business Fitness products.